Sunday, June 6, 2010

Do You Need Something Edited?

mirror posted on livejournal

I'd hate to call this a contest per say, because I never think I have a chance at winning any kind of contest, so the word itself scares me off a bit. But I'm in an editing mood, and I don't want to edit HYBRID just yet because some feedback is going to be coming my way at some point, and I want to wait until then--I think the story has gotten to the point where I need some opinions other than my own!

So if I can't edit my own stuff (other WIP is very much in first draft mode, and editing might kill it dead), I need someone else's stuff to edit! And my regular CPs don't seem to be needing anything read at this point, either.

So I'm asking you, my wonderful readers, if you have anything you'd like me to take a look at.

Now, I don't claim to have any sort of credential other than my own years of writing experience and what I've learned from that period when I devoured every how-to-write book I could get my hands on...that's another reason I'm not calling this a "contest"--that would suggest that there's some big prize or something :P

Okay, by now you're probably thinking--just get on with it!! So I shall.

My email is katzhang3 AT gmail DOT com. (Please, please don't spam me.) If you have something you'd like a fresh pair of eyes to look at and give feedback on, please send me about 15,000 words. Then please leave a comment below telling me what kind of critique you'd like--of course, I won't be able to address everything with only 15,000 words, but I'll do all I can. If I get more than one offer, I'll pick one at random by using a number generator, just to be fair.

Deadline for submissions is Tuesday night at midnight EST (so Wednesday, really, I guess).

Alright! My inner editor is rearing to go!!

PS: This same post is going up on my
livejournal, so I might pick a story submitted by someone there, as well.

PPS: If you ARE one of my regular CPs reading this, and you DO in fact have something you'd like for me to read, what are you waiting for?? I'm DYING to read it! :D

17 comments:

  1. You are very generous to propose such an offer, and I predict you will soon get many eager to take you up on it.

    I do need a fresh pair of eyes to look over my manuscript, MARK OF JASMINE. I'm interested to know whether this story structure works. I’m trying something different, so I want to know if it’s easily understood or just plain confusing.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michelle! I have received your email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is Jamie. I would be /so happy/ if you read over my story. I'm sending it to you now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've received your email, too, Jamie! Thanks for submitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kat! This is Gaby, but blogspt won't let me sign in... argh! my computer's at fault, I know it!

    I hope you don't get *too* much to do ;) I've sent you my manuscript (can you still call 'em that?) in a second mail because I forgot in the first one :P

    hugs from taco-land,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about your computer troubles :P Thanks for the submit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd really like it if you took a look at my first chapter in the manuscript I'm currently rewriting. I need the opinion of someone who has never seen the story before. :) Whatever way you critique is fine with me, if you decide to take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've received your email, Remilda. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's really, really amazing and generous of you to offer this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this opportunity! I've sent you the first six chapters of my middle grade story, and if I win (crosses fingers) I am looking for feedback on story progression and voice. Thank you again! I hope the random generator gives you a fun story to read while you wait for your own feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Sandy. That's very kind of you to say! Really, I think I will learn just as much editing as will the person whose story is chosen.

    Katrina, I've received your email, and yes, I'm really looking forward to having a great story to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's a dedicated writer...just wanting to work on the craft. I sent you a picture book, and hope you're willing to give it a try. Keep on inspiring other writers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Carol! I've received your email, and though I've never critiqued a picture book, if you're willing to show it to me, I'm willing to take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you again for your wonderful offer. I hope I made it under the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did, David! Please check back Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's nice of you to offer to edit someone's work!
    I don't have anything that I need edited right now, so it's too bad I can't enter the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, if you ever do, Judy...:]

    ReplyDelete

Feedback, comments, and stories always appreciated!

Note: please leave comments using DISQUS. Comments that are left not using DISQUS will NOT show up just because the DISQUS app overrides them. If your comment does not show up, it's because you didn't use DISQUS. There is no comment moderation on this blog (other than of obvious spambot comments)